Department of Communication, S N School of Arts & Communication, University of Hyderabad, Prof. CR Rao Road, Gachibowli, Hyderabad, Telangana, India-500046
Vasuki Belavadi graduated with MA (Communication) in 1993 and completed his Ph.D. from University of Hyderabad in 2016. He worked for about 11 years in the Print, TV and NGO sectors in various capacities like City Reporter, Correspondent, Sub-editor, News Producer & Programme Co-ordinator. He has taught at Manipal Institute of Communication and Tezpur University. He specialises in video production & has good grounding in radio programming & production too. His research interests include pedagogy of video production and community media. He is the author of Video Production (Oxford University Press, 2008), the first to be published in India. Vasuki Belavadi conducts capacity sharing training in Participatory Video, particularly for children & adolescents. He is also Faculty Fellow, UNESCO Chair on Community Media.
- Ph.D (Communication), University of Hyderabad (2016)
- MA (Communication), University of Hyderabad (1991-1993)
- BA (Journalism), University of Mysore (1988-1991)
Department of Communication, University of Hyderabad
Teaching Video and Radio Production (both basic & advance courses) to PG students. Supervising their productions, output
Department of Communication, University of Hyderabad
Department of Mass Communication & Journalism, Tezpur University
Manipal Institute of Communication
- Video Production, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2008. Second edition published in August 2013.
- Wrote four Open Education Resources on Technology for Community Radio for CEMCA, New Delhi for a certificate course (http://cemca.org.in/resources/certificate-community-radio-technology-ccrt-0#.VeffOPmqpuA)
- Wrote lessons for the Post-graduate diploma programme in Television Production, University of Hyderabad
- Wrote lessons for Karnataka Open University on Corporate Communication and Middle Range Theories
- Wrote unit on Audio Editing & Mixing for IGNOU, New Delhi
- Short films for US Consulate, Hyderabad
- Co-PI, Ohio University-UoH-UNICEF 12-day International Workshop on Communication for Development (C4D), Aug 01-12, 2016, Hyderabad
- PI, CR-CIT Peer Review Training for Community Radios in Bangladesh, Dhaka, May 11-13, 2016
- Project Co-ordinator, Sangwari Khabariya, a participatory video initiative in Chhattisgarh, since 2015.
- Chief Trainer, first ever Community Radio Training in Bhutan, organised by Ministry of Information, Bhutan, 2015
- Trainer, adoption of Community Radio-Continuous Improvement Toolkit in Bangladesh and East Africa.
- Co-investigator, Development of Community Radio Continuous Improvement Toolkit (CRCIT), sponsored by CEMCA, New Delhi
- Trainer, IPDC workshop on Community Radio conducted by Maraa, Bangalore
- Co-investigator, On-Air, A study of three Community Radio Stations in the Bundelkhand Region, UNICEF, New Delhi
- Co-ordinator, Audio-Visual Documentation Resource Unit (AVDRU) since 2008
- CAMP© : Trainer for Children As Media Producers, a Participatory Video initiative. (camp.commuoh.in)
- Resource person for Community Radio initiatives.
- Major project on producing 150 How To videos for Kuza Biashara an exclusive portal that seeks to aid Small & Medium Enterprises in Kenya. Shooting & post-production in Kenya.
- AV documentation of their interventions, success stories at the grass-root level in both Andhra Pradesh & Karnataka. Project involves producing videos, photographs and a web stories.
- Training of Trainers in Participatory Video for NGOs of Andhra Pradesh.
- Produced multi-media material for the APREGS, the National Rural Employment Guarantee Employment Act Scheme for Andhra Pradesh. Video: Living with honour & awareness posters.
- Programme Producer, Eenadu Television, Hyderabad (1995-1999)
- As News Producer was in-charge of capsuling the news bulletin for two years
- Produced an educational programme ‘Pragati’ for Intermediate students
- Produced 25 episodes of ‘Spotlight’, a weekly feature, covering a number of significant issues
- Produced a weekly current affairs programme ‘Visvaveekshanam’, on world current affairs
- Successfully produced a three-day live coverage of election bulletins during the 1998 elections
- Involved in drawing up of fixed point charts for forthcoming channels from the Eenadu network
- Cameraperson for ‘Killing fields of Andhra Pradesh’ (sub-titled in English), 55-min, screened at the Bombay International Film Festival, 1994
- Directed a three-part series on ‘Development of Power Projects in Andhra Pradesh’, 30-mins each, telecast on Doordarshan
- Cameraperson for ‘Portrait of an Artist-Laxma Goud’, 10 mins
- Assistance in camera for ‘On the turning away’, a music video, 5-min
- Co-directed a five-part series ‘History of freedom movement in Andhra Pradesh’ telecast on Doordarshan
- Bangalore Correspondent, Newstime, published from Hyderabad (Dec 1994-June 1995)
- Reporter, Deccan Herald, published from Bangalore (May 1994-Jan 1995)
- Part-time reporter , Indian Express, published from Bangalore (1988-91)
- Reporter/Sub-editor, Andolana, eveninger from Mysore (1988-91)
- Programme Co-ordinator with Deccan Development Society, an NGO functioning in 75 villages of Medak district, Andhra Pradesh (Feb 1999-April 2000)
Conferences/ Workshops/ Invited Lectures etc
- Invited by Government of Chhattisgarh as panelist and speaker, National Consultation on Innovating for Children, September 21-22, 2017
- Invited to conduct a week-long workshop on Documentary film production, Department of MCJ, Central University of Tamil Nadu, Aug 28-Sept 04
- Invited to conduct a six-day Participatory Video workshop, by Dept of MCJ, Tezpur University for students of the MA in C4D programme
- Invited speaker at Communication Education 3.0, a 3-day seminar organised by Dept. of MCJ, Tezpur University
- Resource person, international workshop on ‘Capacity Building for Sustainability and Continuous Improvement of Community Radio in East Africa’, in Tanzania jointly funded by UNESCO, East Africa Community (EAC) October 1-8, 2015
- Invited Resource Person for first ‘Community Radio Training in Bhutan’, organized by Royal Government of Bhutan & UNESCO, November 15-26, 2015
- Invited Resource Person for international workshop on ‘Community Learning Programme through Community Video’ organised by Sri Lankan Development Journalists’ Forum (SDJF), December 15-18, 2015
- Resource person for four day workshop on Young People as Media Mentors (YPMM), as part of Children As Media Producers (CAMP) at Surguja, Chhattisgarh, April 11-14, 2016.
- Presented “Children as media producers & other aspects of community engagement and use of media. Case study: Children as media producers Sangwari Khabariya” at International Workshop on Communication for Development (C4D) held for UNICEF staff, August 01-12, 2016, Hyderabad
- Resource Person, CR-CIT Peer Review Training for Community Radios in Bangladesh, Dhaka, organised jointly by CEMCA, New Delhi & BNNRC, Bangladesh, May 11-13, 2016
- Empanelled Reviewer for SAGE Publications, India
- Selection panel member, Savitribai Phule Pune University
- Selection panel member, Central University of Tamil Nadu
- Ph.D Evaluator, Mysore University
- Ph.D Evaluator, Manipal Academy of Higher Education
- Radio Programming & Production
- Electronic News Gathering and Electronic Field Production
- Single & Multi-camera Production—various genres & formats
- Consultancy on repackaging television channels
- Formulating scheduling strategies & production
- Microsoft Office, Adobe PhotoShop, QuarkXpress, Auto-play (Flash-based multi-media production software)
- Final Cut Studio, Adobe Premiere
- Adobe Audition, Audacity
- Active member of Community Radio Forum, India an e-group involved in campaigning for community radio.
- Nomination jury at CMS Vatavaran, 2009—July 27-31, 2009
- Resource person for capacity building in technology & programming for Community Radio Forum